Skip to main content

Your privacy settings

We use cookies to help you with journey planning and relevant disruptions, remember your login and show you content you might be interested in. If you're happy with the use of cookies by West Midlands Combined Authority and our selected partners, click 'Accept all cookies'. Or click 'Manage cookies' to learn more.

Manage cookies

Get a disabled person's pass

If you’re disabled, you might be able to get a free bus pass for travel anywhere in England.

The pass lets you travel for free during off-peak times:

  • between 9.30am and 11pm, Monday to Friday
  • all day at weekends and on public holidays

If you live in the West Midlands, you can use your pass on the buses from 9.30am until 11.59pm. You can also get free travel on:

  • trains in the Blue Zone from 9.30am to 11.59pm
  • trams from 9.30am until the last service of the day

If you do not live in the West Midlands, contact your local authority to apply.

If you want to travel before 9.30am, you can get a £1.50 single fare on National Express West Midlands buses. Show your travel pass to the driver and ask for a £1.50 single ticket.

If you often travel before 9.30 am, you can get a pre-9:30 add-on ticket. Use our ticket finder to find pre-9.30 add-on tickets.

If you’re under 18 and have a disabled travel pass, you’ll get a pre-9.30 top-up loaded onto your pass. This happens automatically - you do not need to do anything. The top-up lets you use your pass on the bus before 9.30 am in term time.

You can also use your travel pass as a pay-as-you-go card. This means you can use it to pay for the following:

  • travel before 9.30 am
  • parking

To use your travel pass as a pay-as-you-go card, you need to either:

Check if you're eligible

You can get a disabled person's travel pass if you:

  • have an eligible disability that's expected to last at least 12 months
  • are aged 5 or over

You may be eligible if you:

  • are registered blind or partially sighted
  • are severely or profoundly deaf in both ears
  • cannot talk
  • cannot walk easily
  • cannot use both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • have a medical condition that means you can't get a UK driving licence

You’ll need to include proof of your disability when you apply. The application form explains how to do this.

You can get a West Midlands disabled person's travel pass if you live in the West Midlands. You must live at a property where council tax is paid to one of these councils:

  • Birmingham
  • Coventry
  • Dudley
  • Sandwell
  • Solihull
  • Walsall
  • Wolverhampton

Read more about how we check if you're eligible.

Apply for a disabled person's travel pass

You can apply for a disabled person's pass online.

It's the fastest way to apply and only takes around 15 minutes. You'll need to upload copies of evidence that supports your disability. We'll guide you and let you know what you need to provide for your disability.

You can also apply with a paper form:

1. Download one of these application forms:

2. Fill in the form.

3. Send the application and supporting evidence to the address on the form.

Renewing your travel pass

We’ll write to you around 3 months before your pass expires. Depending on your disability, your pass might be automatically renewed. Or you might have to apply again. Your letter will tell you what to do.

Update the details on your travel pass

You can update your personal details online if your name or address changes.

You can update your photo by email or by post. Send your new photo to Customer Services.

You'll need to send us:

  • a new, passport-style colour photo
  • your full name and address
  • the 16-digit number on the front of your travel pass

Customer Services - Ticketing
Transport for West Midlands
16 Summer Lane
B19 3SD

Submit an enquiry

Stay up to date

Receive an email notification when this information changes.

Sign up for updates